Friday, August 17, 2012

Mr. Birthday

On Wednesday night, my parents invited us to dinner.  While David was away from the table, I did as any good wife should and informed the server that David was a soon-to-be-birthday boy.

As you can probably imagine, David LOVES making a big deal of his birthday.  He loves getting his picture taken . . .  loves people singing to him . . .

david bday 2012 1
loves, loves, loves.

Fun Fact.  David used to be a server at THAT very restaurant.  Back in the glory days.

Handsome Dude gave David his very first birthday present.

2012-08-15-20.30.26
It is a play-do ball with Italian flags proudly mounted in it.  Just what every 32 year old father of four needs.

Yesterday was David's factual birthday.  Of course, he had to work.  Because have you met him?  But the kids and I were planning on heading into town to clean the rental anyways that day.

Alas.  The stomach bug visited.

So, there I was.  Two kids vomiting and having it, *ahem* come out the other end and the others had head colds and fevers.

Thankfully, my friend, Shelly, offered to help Mr. Birthday clean the house so I would not have to drag the sickies to town.

Holla, Shelly!

While we were recovering, the girls and I taught the boys how to play Uno.

Handsome Dude won.  He was excited.

\ 2012-08-16-11.42.39
Please ignore the mismatched clothes.  He had, *ahem*, blown through about 6 pairs of pants already.

Little Dude lost Uno.

2012-08-16-11.42.46
He took it well.

Since I had not planned on being home for David's birthday, I had no plan for a special birthday dinner, nor a cake.

For shame.

I remembered a recipe for Teriyaki chicken that tickled his fancy.  Then I went to check on the garden and saw a plethora of green beans and blueberries.

Garden for the win!

I was able to make a cake from scratch, but did not have enough ingredients for frosting.

Don't lose heart!

The astute reader might recall that my husband prefers his chocolate cake smothered in our homemade applesauce, instead of frosting.  Because he is totally normal.

I must say, I was pretty proud of our impromptu birthday dinner that we were able to pull together amidst a house full of sickies.  And Shelly was a rockstar at the house and did so much of the work that David was able to get home at a decent hour to feast with his beloved wife and offspring.

The kids decorated the cake with a hunting theme.

david and kids bday 2012
The toy soldier is supposed to be David.  Apparently.  And I was far too lazy to wash the toys, so I just laid some wax paper on the top of the cake.  Because I strive for greatness.

Daisy Mae, who had been sickly all day, got all dressed up for her dad's special dinner.

0061
Precious, is it not?

And now, David is the sickest of all.  Poor boy.

Lest any of you are confused, he is , in fact, at work.

Happy Friday!





16 comments:

  1. I love David's faces in his pictures! Also, HD is looking more and more like David by the minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that pic of LD losing Uno is PRECIOUS! I laughed out loud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David has the prettiest smile.

    Happy 32!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were some stellar cake decorations! And Little Dude's reaction to losing sounds like a reaction I would have had at his age as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Daisy Mae got dressed up even though she felt sick! The sign of a true woman! Maybe I can be like her when I grow up... I'd have attended in yoga pants and a tee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How super sweet of Shelly!! Great job getting something on the table on top of all the sickness you dealt with !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like chocolate cake and I like applesauce but . . . I think I would have gone with huckleberry jam. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know his birthday was so close to mine! Tell him happy birthday even if he doesn't smile for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate cake with homemade applesauce is the bomb! I've been eating it for 40-some years...when I can get it. YUM!! Might just have to have some for MY birthday in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to the Lumberjack, and I'm sorry that there was/is sickness! Hope next week is better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOU got pinned! YOU! YOU! Are you not proud? I would be so incredibly proud of that feat! You should thank Angela from the bottom of your heart! You have accomplished a goal you thought you may never attain! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really worried David's face is broken.
    Hope his birthday was happy for him on the inside anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get better everyone. So glad you got to celebrate even with all the illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad I can read your blog again! Good thing David got two birthdays -I think he smiled at the restaurant. Uno is a fun game!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your lumberjack was a good sport to put up with all of the Picture Taking and such. Little Dude and I have similar reactions, apparently, when losing a card game. It happens to the best of us... It sounds like your friend Shelley is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete