Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Trees

Yesterday was "Going To Town Day."  A lovely day, if there ever was one.  And, yes, we did make a trip to get the glasses repaired, for what is this blog without broken glasses?  After a long day filled with homeschool co-op, piano lessons, and numerous errands, I was eager to start the long drive home.

Right before I left town, Handsome Dude conveniently informed that he had to go potty WEE BAD.  I really, really, REALLY did not want to stop.

There comes a point in every mother's day where she just cannot handle the thought of loading children into car seats any longer.  But, I digress.

I tried to map out places on the highway in my head that I could stop and have him pee on the side of the road if need be.  But then I was horrified at the sort of hillbilly I had become who would even entertain such a thought.

Plus, it was raining, and I'd prefer to not get my hair wet.

I decided to go to the grocery store.  Because we always need milk anyways.  Handsome Dude took care of business and off we went to grab the milk.  I, being the brilliant gal that I am, decided to get TWO gallons of milk, so I would not have to send my husband to the store again the next day, as I am wont to do.

We drink a lot of milk.

Handsome Dude thinks he is a man these days.  He informed me that he is nearly ready to cut down tress and bring in firewood.  I do not believe him because the boy cannot even get toothpaste on his toothbrush correctly.  But I let him have his moment.  He is quite the little gentleman and offered to hold the milk for me.  I thanked him for his kindness and handed one of the gallons over.

HD:  No, mom.  I hold BOFE of them.

Me:  No, it is too heavy.

HD:  Mom!  MOM!  MOOOOM!  I am almost 5!  I am stronger, right?

Me:  Just one.

So, we were waiting "patiently" in line, I with one gallon, HD with the other.  Daisy Mae was being uEber annoying by giving Little Dude a piggy back ride and insisting they talk in creepy-bunny voices.

There was an older lady in front of us.  She looked at the commotion behind her and just smiled.  Bless her heart.

Then Handsome Dude dropped his milk.

Did you know that plastic can break?  Neither did I.

So.  Milk is splashing everywhere.  Handsome Dude looks horrified.  I am angry, but trying not to blow because it was just an accident.  But seriously.  AHHHHHHHHH.

The older lady in front of me was nice as can be.  Amazingly, enough.

Older Lady to Handsome Dude:  Well, sir, that was just an accident, wasn't it?

Me:  I'm sorry, I hope we didn't get milk on you!

Older Lady:  I am just fine.

And she turns and there is milk all over her jeans.

Me:  Oh, I'm sorry.  It does look like there is milk on your pants.

She looks at her pants and smiles at me.

Older Lady:  You know what?  I bet my washing machine will fix that right up!  It's not a problem!

And that's exactly how I needed her to respond.  Because somedays, it is just hard to be a mom.  Somedays, I feel like a failure.  Somedays, I feel like I just cannot do it.

Because . . . have you read my blog?

But she did not scold me, lecture me, criticize me, or become annoyed with me.  She treated me with grace and kindness.

She's also my new favorite grocery store stranger ever because not once did she say any of the following phrases:

"Boy, you've got your hands full!"

"Are those kids all yours?!?"

"Why aren't they in school?"

"Does the little on there have the same dad?"

So, thank you, grocery store stranger, for being kind to us.

And not questioning my son's paternity.

Like the stranger last week did.

***

And while we are on the topic of feeling like a failure as a mom . . .

Little Dude.

ld 2012
Oh, boy.  He is testing the limits lately.

Last night, we put him to bed.  About an hour later, we hear the piano keys pounding.

Which was shocking and all because our kids are so obedient.

David sneaks downstairs to startle him.  Because that's the kind of parents we are.

David:  What are you doing?

Little Dude (shocked):  What, dad?  What?

David:  It's BEDTIME!

Little Dude:  But, Dad!  I need to do my piano lessons!

?

What is up with this kid? Such a punk.  He's lucky he's cute, too.

Me:  We are going to plant a garden this year.  What should we plant?  Potatoes?  Carrots?  Corn?

Little Dude:  Yum!  Yes and berries and cinnamon rolls!

I would totes love a cinnamon roll tree in my garden.

Later, dudes.

26 comments:

  1. Oh my word. I think LD and my Drewbug are boys cut from the same cloth. And what a sweet lady. Bet she's a mom. I probably would have hugged her straight away. Milky jeans and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with that cinnamon roll tree...i never could get my money tree to sprout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too did learn that plastic breaks this week, but I was the one who dropped it. Middle Guy and I were returning from the store and I gave him two of the lighter bags and I went to carry in the super deluxe size Apple Juice and dropped. Splash it went. But luckily we were in our on driveway without fear of strangers comments.

    Your new favorite grocery store stranger was just the angel you needed on such a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberries are easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest I don't think Little Dude looks that much different to the others...

    What a sweet woman in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, what a lovely grocery store lady. God bless her! People like her just hug you better with words.

    ... and I'm TOTALLY (or totes, if you prefer) with you on the car seat conundrum ... it gets quite tiresome lifting them in and out all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, I agree with Felicity's comment! Although this certainly is not the point of this post, and I know there is one, your little guy looks exactly like the rest of your children.....who look so much like siblings it's a bit clone-like! So what the heck that (rude, obnoxious) stranger was talking about, I do not know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless that nice grocery store stranger. I get that .. "Wow you have your hands full!" comment all the flipping time and I only have two. My new fav response is.. "Better full then empty!" I swear some days I just need a shirt that says .."It's been a long day..don't judge."

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you got grace and not criticism. Sorry it was that kind of day. Some days are like that, even without four kids in the house.

    Hope today is better and brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heart that lady. I hope I can be like her when I grow up.

    I'm really glad you didn't have to cry over spilled milk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a great mom! Just imagine if you had let HD carry both cartons of milk. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I am a little in love with Grocery Store Stranger :) I need me a stranger like her. I once had a GSS ask me if all 5 of my Pack have different fathers.... hmmm... that made my day. let me tell ya.
    A perfect comeback for when they ask you, "are all these kids yours??"
    And I have used this. and I was deemed "rude!" by a shocked GSS.
    "nope, I pick up all the kids in the neighborhood and bring them shopping with me, cuz this is SO MUCH FUN!!!"
    seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish there were a few more grocery store strangers in the world! So glad that she didn't make your day worse. I say it all the time, but you are a superhero, my friend! There's a reason only one of us has kids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a living example of grace Milk Jeans Lady was!
    Knowing we can't do it all (I have been feeling very overwhelmed by homeschooling lately) makes it all the more reason to be thankful when we get through a day without disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do in-home daycare so I get those comments all the time. I have stopped correcting by telling them all but two are daycare kids. This last fall when my husband and I took all 6 of the kids, between the ages of 1 and 5, to the pumpkin patch someone asked if they all have the same dad, I said a quick "no" and walked away. I can only imagine what that lady thought of me at that moment!
    I'm so glad you had a nice grocery store stranger. I think people under estimate what a little kindness will do for someone and how it can turn a bad day around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the kindness of that lady would have made me cry...seriously. I would have asked her to adopt me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please send your grocery store angel my way- We really need her in our parts !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry about your day. Mothering is just HARD even with all its wonderful attendant blessings. My good friend and I were chatting last night about how we were relatively successful in what we tried until we became moms. Sigh. Wouldn't change it for a minute though because it is teaching me the meaning of grace. I want to be that grocery store lady when I grow up.

    And I agree with Felicity and the others, LD looks like his siblings. I know not what those people's problem is. (even if he didn't look like the rest, why on earth would you say it??!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cinnamon roll trees - best.idea.ever. And that lady at the store was the best! As the oldest of 6 homeschooled kids, I remember trips like that, and all the people that asked my Mom those same questions. I'm so glad she & my Dad raised us like they did and that they had so many of us, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holla! to the sweet stranger! Note to self: Be like her.

    And to the problem of having a child who needs to pee when you just can't stop anymore . . . carry a spare (very spare) little jar, jug, sippy cup, empty Starbucks cup . . . what have you, in the car at all times. Little boys think it's quite grand to fill one up. Little girls now, different story, but still can be done. At least you only have to pull over and not get everyone out. If you don't pull over you'll find out just how bumpy roads really are. Ask me how I know. Or don't.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, that lady almost made me cry.
    Not because I've ever felt that way, EVER, oh, no not me.

    Thank you so much.

    I love the days I can get out of the grocery store and smile when someone comments about "all your helpers" (because this doesn't happen very much--the smiling I mean).

    I hate the days when I get out of the grocery store and am all grizzly bear to anyone who even looks my way sympathetically.
    Just get out of my face!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holla to the intuitive woman in grocery store. Some of us actually grow wiser with age.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Taylor, I just love you and your family, even if I will probably never get to meet you! what an optimist you have, to hope to grow cinnamon rolls! And how God blessed you with the GSS ! i so wish that would always be me when i bump into someone who could use some grace (and I guess that would be all of us) . may God bless you as you continue to help your precious ones grow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I must be a closet hillbilly, because I totally thought one of the perks of boys was the out-of-doors urination.
    We take advantage of that perk often.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have you read about Pioneer Woman's husband and boys peeing off the front porch? She talks about it on her blog! At least they live way out on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma...

    ReplyDelete
  26. When my dog was a puppy, my husband would get up in the middle of the night or early in the mornings to take her outside to do her business....and he would stand there right next to her and relieve himself at the same time.... boys/men! Thank goodness for privacy fences!

    ReplyDelete