Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Story of Us, part three

To catch up:


The Story of Us, part one


The Story of Us, part two


So, we were finally in our new home.  You know that phrase: "You don't know what you've got till it's gone?"


Having our own home again was so wonderful.  I had longed to have our own house again for such a long time.  I couldn't wait to decorate, clean, and cook.


Clearly all the post-partum emotions were taking a toll on me.


We were happy. 


However, the dogs were driving us nuts.  I was home with a 2 month old and a 17 month old, and I did not have the time or the patience to deal with the world's naughtiest dogs.  We knew Jack was the naughtiest of the dogs and that Mabel was much more mild-mannered.  And so, we decided to give Jack away to a family friend. 


We decided that we would like to start camping with our new, little family.


You may ask, "Taylor!  What do you mean start camping?!"


Yes, readers.  We hadn't started camping yet.


I'll give you a moment to recover from the shock.


Remember!  I'm not the wilderness type.  All we had back in the olden days was a tent.


A tent!  ha!


I laugh at the thought.  I'm too much of a camping snob now to camp in a tent.


But, alas.  We were still broke.  We did, however, find a ginormous, old camp trailer that slept 8, had brown carpet, orange cushions, and a funky smell for $800. 


That trailer was David's nemesis.


 And so, the era of camping was born in our family.


And as you all know, we have been camping ever since.


***


And so, life continued.  Here are a few, random bits for you:


1.  We decided to heat our new house with wood, so David became quite the Lumberjack in those days.  He determined to get himself about 10 cords of wood each year.


2009_9_08 021


As you have probably already surmised, the days of shopping at The Gap, tanning, and highlighting hair were long gone.


2.  I even went wood cutting with him once.


3.  For our 5 year anniversary, we went on a cruise to Mexico.  I cannot remember one, single happenstance from that trip.


4.  David kept working on the house.  He ripped off the old siding and put up that Tyvek paper.  Then he ran out of time and our house sat covered in Tyvek for a year.  I'm sure the neighbor's appreciated that.  He ripped out the kitchen floor to redo the plumbing and lovingly set up a "plank" for me to walk across to get to the laundry room.  I did dishes in the bathtub.  There was always sheet rock dust everywhere and random drill bits lying about.  It was the project that would never, ever, ever end.


5.  In 2006, I discovered I was pregnant for the third time.  Since all we could create were girls, we knew to expect a sweet, calm, new little girl.


6.  God looked upon our sweet little family and declared, "Let them have a boy."



In March of 2007, our son was born.  He melted my heart from the beginning.  He was so handsome and precious.  The girls were enthralled with him and were helpful "little mothers" to him.



7.  We decided it was time to upgrade our trailer to one that didn't have mold and a nasty smell. 


Here are pictures from our first camping trip in our new trailer:


IMG_1559


IMG_1558


You can't tell from this picture, but I can assure you that David's heart is overflowing with joy in his blessings.


8.  Remember how I got pregnant with Daisy Mae when Sweet Pea was 6 months old?  Guess what happened when Handsome Dude was 6 months old?


9.  My 4th pregnancy did a number on me.  My body began to fall apart.  I developed a heart murmur and some gnarly varicose veins. 


2009_9_12 119


See?  Gnarly.


10.  In June of 2008, we had our second son.



He was the world's easiest baby.


10.  Sweet Pea was entering kindergarten that year, and I had planned on homeschooling her.  But going from 3 to 4 was the hardest transition for me.  Life was spinning out of control.


And would you like to know whose fault that was?



Handsome Dude's.


When Handsome Dude turned about 15 months old, he became a tiddly bit naughty.


So, David, concerned for my mental well-being, told me we should enroll our daughter in school.


It was the right choice at that time in our lives.


***


During all these years, I was growing up and learning fast about how to be a wife and mother. 


David and I were married young.  We grew up together.


I used to get upset with him when he would be home late from work.  I thought a good wife was a wife who had a tidy house and dinner on the table when her husband walked through the door.


David would tell me he would be home by 6.  And often, he would call me at 6:15 and tell me he would be home in an hour.


Oh, it would drive me nuts.


Didn't he understand how hard it was for me to time everything out?  Didn't he know how busy I was with these kids?


But my husband is a hard worker.  He does what it takes to provide for our family.  I had to realize that he wasn't being mean to me.


Quite the opposite.


He was doing whatever it took to make sure he did what his boss wanted of him.  And if that meant working late, he would work late.


It is not easy to bear the burden of being the financial supporter of a family of 6.  I have never seen anyone who can work as hard as my husband does.  He gets up at 5am and works long, long days.


He comes home, cheerful and happy to help me.


The day I realized that he didn't care about dinner was a good day for our marriage.


It's okay with him if the house isn't perfect and dinner isn't ready.  He would rather come home to a bowl of cereal and a peaceful house, than a cranky wife trying to keep dinner warm.


In all the years that David has been an electrician, he has not been out of work once.  That's quite the feat for that line of work


So, I have learned to trust him.  If he says he needs to work late, that's fine.  It does not happen every night.  He still makes time for us.


In your comments from the last two posts, some of you said that I was a saint.


Trust me.  I'm not a saint.


But I have been learning to let David lead and to trust that he knows what he is capable of and he sees things that I don't.


I'm thankful that he is willing to work so hard for us.


Alright.  I'm hoping to finish this up tomorrow.


Happy Thursday!

14 comments:

  1. You guys have had quite the adventurous marriage so far!
    LJ sounds like a great provider-- he totally deserves a high five.
    (From you, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you are both saints then. (But you are saintlier). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a sweet story...good thing you were young : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor, this was one of the loveliest tributes to a husband I've read in a very long time. I am so impressed with the way you've matured within your marriage...how responsible you were from the beginning...not giving up that hairnet job just to keep insurance...kudos to BOTH of you. Your children are fortunate to have such wonderful role models.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great tribute! I joke sometimes about what my husband puts me through because he's such an outside-the-box kind of guy, but they are the ones that keep life interesting, aren't they? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. The LJ sounds a lot like my Colby. It drives me nuts that he works so hard, but I no he's doing it to support us. We've got good men, Taylor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I wish we would have hung out after we got married because you are just about the only person I know who was walking the same path as me at the same time. I could have used someone to commiserate with. We got married just a few months before you guys and then got busy making babies (sometimes accidentally) and it would have been nice to know that someone else was just as crazy as us. Love what you said about your husband. Jarrod is the same way and I too often take for granted that he works his backside off and then comes home to wrestle with our kids... I'm often too busy being jealous of those women whose husbands work from home. Seriously, who does that? I'm glad to hear your perspective and attitude on being supportive of long hours. It's not always easy, but it sure makes life better. This was a fun little series of posts.

    My problem when I read your blog is that it always inspires me to write my own post, but I don't want to be the "Lumberjack's Wife's Knockoff Blog" so then I have to think extra hard to come up with something original, hehe. I don't know how you do it, but keep it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I've been reading it for quite a while. I'm glad to get caught up though with your last few posts. I just need to tell you that I admire you! My kids are big now - I had to work to provide for our family so I missed so much. What I've learned is that we just do the best we can with the situation we are given and trust that God will take care of the rest. Keep up the awesomely good job that you are doing as a wife and mother. And dont stop blogging, I would miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was actually thinking last night about how, as much as he has asked you to do some crazy things, how great he was and how really good you seem together. I agree...this is a beautiful post, and it is very wonderful to hear how much you love, and respect your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate the way you express all the ways God has changed your heart. He's good at doing that when a heart stays open to His ways and His work, don't you think? It helps GREATLY when you take time to be in His Word on a day to day basis and allow it to "soak in" throughout the day by ruminating and meditating on it. I like this mini series you are doing on your "story of us".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know you made me cry today. Thank you so much. No, really, I love hearing your love and trust for David. So refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for being honest in this post! I too used to feel so horrible when my husband would come home from working hard all day and the house was a complete disaster, the kids were crying, and there was no supper ready! I felt like such a failure! But then I remembered that I was doing the best I could with 2 kids under the age of 2 and that my husband didn't really care if the house was spotless or it he had a hot meal on the table when he walked through the door. Glad to know I was not alone in all those feelings!

    ReplyDelete