Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Baby birds and mice

David:  Hey, Hon.  Can I do anything to help you out?


Me:  Could you read with Daisy Mae?  She needs someone to listen to her read.


David:  Sure



My husband has "sitting-down-sleeping-syndrome."  He comes by it honestly.  Everyone in his family also has this syndrome.  Back in yesteryear, (ooh!  a fancy word!), I would be watching a movie with my crazykin inlaws and they would all be asleep.  All of them.  Except the other lone inlaw, Jack.  It was always odd.  It's hard for me and Jack, you know . . . being the only normal ones.  They are blessed to have us.


Since Lucy has been gone, we have been invaded by mice.  Thankfully not in our house, but in our garage.  The children caught a baby mouse and made a little habitat for it to live in. 


What is wrong with them?


They went to check on it and it escaped.  Lovely.  I'll have you know my kids used to be scared and squeamish around animals, bugs, and rodents.  Now they touch mice like it ain't no thang.  Country life is making them weird and creepy.


We also have a bird's nest.



It's hard to see, but there are little babies in there with their beaks open.


Here's the mama.  Does anyone know what kind of bird it is?


It should be easy for you to tell, seeing as how I have provided you with an professional, completely in-focus picture.


It's the kind of photography excellence you have come to expect from me.


That bird's nest is in our front porch thingie.  I don't know what it is called!  It's like a roof.  But over a porch?  And there are beams?  You KNOW.  The front porch thingie.  Anyways, a bird lovingly placed a nest there last year when we had just moved in.  But Sweet Pea and Bimlissa's daughter knocked it down with sticks and murdered the baby birds who were still in egg-form.


I don't think I ever told Bimlissa this.


Bimlissa, is not this disturbing?  Should we be concerned?


Luckily, no baby birds have been murdered thus far.  My kids are now a little more wise in the ways of animals.  I just wish they would get a little disturbing on the baby mice.


I kid!  I jest!


I need a cat.


My kids all love to read together.



It's a huge time saver for me, but then I started to feel kind of badly about it.  I remember the days when I just had Sweet Pea.  After lunch, I would sit in her room and watch her play with her toys and help her.  Then we would read books together and I would put her down for her nap.  There is no way I have time to give each of my children this kind of attention daily anymore.


Just feeling a little guilty.


Alright!  I am headed to town today!  This is exciting and my nicest jeans are clean and ready to go!


I realized I forgot to share with you the link for the coffee filter wreath:



My mom said she wants to try it.  Perhaps I should do it with her!  It could be a fantastic opportunity to get a Goober Parent Update.  Or, depending on how well the craft goes, a Goober Taylor Update.


And, since we are on the subject of Goober Parents, I shall leave you with the following phone call that took place between my dad and I.


Remember my dad?


DSC_0060


You may recall that my parents recently got smart phones.


Why?


We cannot be certain.  But pigs can now fly.


Me:  Hello?


Dad (shouting because he is confused and feels the need to shout):  I AM JUST LETTING YOU KNOW THAT I FIGURED OUT YOUR PANDORA THING


Me:  Oh!  Do you like it?


Dad:  I TYPED IN MY FRIEND BURT.  AND THEN YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE TYPES OF SONGS THEY WRE PLAYING.  HORRIBLE.


I think he is referring to someone named Burton Cummings.  It's ok.  I don't know who that is either.


Me:  Well, just mark that you don't like it and it will soon tailor it to your likes.


Dad: THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I CANNOT HEAR A DARN THING.  IT WON'T LET ME TURN IT UP.


Me, the smart phone expert that I am:  You need to turn up your media volume.


Dad:  THAT DOES NOT EXIST ON MY PHONE.  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.  MY PHONE WILL NOT TURN ANY VOLUME UP.


Me:  Alright.


Dad:  GOODBYE.


Peace out, dudes.

25 comments:

  1. Yep, a good barn cat or two is just what you need. The best part? They live OUTSIDE. Of course, they may also take a liking to your bunnies in a snacking kind of way so I don't know . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had lots of time to spend with Sweet Pea, then consider that God knew she needed lots of one-on-one time and that's why He sent her first. You are training your children to get along with each other, and you are training the older ones to care for the younger ones by letting them read to each other. This is a good thing. So do not allow guilt to take over when you shove them off on one another, I mean, send them to read to one another because you are training them. It's for their good. Get it? (It's all in the packaging, girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As "farm girl" as I am, I do not abide mice, rats or snakes....all 3 will send me screaming from a location quicker than you can turn your head to see why I am fleeing.

    Yes a barn cat in needed...we have 4...You can find them on my blog...mainly sleeping on my couch and front porch furniture.

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: Chickens will eat baby mice too...and ducks love them...gross I know but no grosser than a cat eating them or leaving them as presents on the front step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is it a finch?

    you can have our cats. they make lucy-fur look like a comatose angel.

    i managed to squeeze in a thrice yesterday. http://gracedabundantly.blogspot.com/2011/07/tuesday-tidbits.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mouse stomping is the rage for my kids at their cousins' ranch. Oh! this made me think of my own mouse story that I can blog...off I go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, oooh! I have a cat that I've been trying to give away. He's an excellent mouser. I had mouse in my garage and they did not come back after I threw him in there a couple of nights. Please come take him. Please? I would be eternally grateful. I thought I was a cat person, but alas, I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pretty sure based on the excellent photo, that you have a pine warbler. http://www.birdsofwonder.com/id55.html

    Enjoy your visit to town!

    ReplyDelete
  9. when i got my blackberry my son-in-law Zac said "OH NO". he didn't realize i could google whatever i needed to know. suck it Zac.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cats and bunnies--perhaps not a good combinations. But the bunnies are in a hutch, no? And if the cat is busy with mice, surely it will ignore the bunnies for the time being! Yes, you and your mom should definitely make a coffee filter wreath. Make yours big enough to fit over your elk/deer heads..... bwahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would not be able to keep those shoes. Not even outside. Not even in the barn (if I had one). eek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. no touching baby mice in my house. only screaming of equal proportions. You do not want to know how long it took me to figure out how to spell that word!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Burton Cummings is the lead singer of the Guess Who. Your father has excellent taste in music even if he can't hear it. :) :)

    Get a cat! Holla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband sleeps much like yours... I suffer from insomnia. It drives me insane.

    Marla @ www.blueskiesphotoblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have some stray cats that would be great out on your land. They will mouse for you!

    Anyone else who see this and wants cats let me know...I will get you one.
    And most of them are fixed so no kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could make all the mounts a coffee filter lei...it should make you feel all summery and like having a luau! Pleeeeeease do it and post pictures. And just think how much Lumberjack would enjoy the animal accessories! I wonder how long it would take him to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No, you never told me about the eggs! And the same thing happened here this summer. There was a nest with pretty blue eggs in it and they picked them out and played with them!! None cracked but I think the mom abandoned them because they never hatched. And I always felt very guilty but now I know it's your fault and am transferring that guilt over to you =) or maybe jordyn is the common factor??

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband and his family are also very excellent sleepers. Any time, any place, it seems. We also had a 'mice in the garage' problem. We found the sticky traps work the best. And cats, of course. They can live outside. Easy peasy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha i know someone like that...she can't sit for more than two minutes without falling asleep...she can be in the middle of a conversation and fall asleep, i kid you not! its' actually kind of annoying....

    sry i have been kinda mia lately...i have been reading just not commenting, i am a bad bloggy friend, i apologize. i have too much going on and something had to give...

    i'll try to be around more now that things are slowing down a bit ... no promises though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Falling asleep like that sounds like sleep apnea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband can fall asleep like that too! I have accused him of being narcoleptic, but in reality... I'm just jealous. I only wish I could fall asleep that easily!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would have you know that my inlaws are exactly the same way. I have seen OH so many movies about 10 times more than the rest of them simply because we have to "rewatch" them......which is only because they were all asleep on the floor about 10 minutes in. I swear those people could sleep standing up.
    I feel you hun....its hard being the normal one:P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Um, apparently I missed what happened to Luci - maybe I don't want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  24. just another good reason to learn more about the flora and fauna in your area. just sayin... LJ works so hard, perhaps that's why he falls asleep when he stops

    ReplyDelete
  25. Taylor.
    We need to have a photographical intervention.
    There is help for people like you.

    ReplyDelete