Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Vegas Trip

I am back from my trip to Las Vegas, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed as to how to recap it all in a blog post.  I could just sum it all up for you in one sentence . . .


Vegas is wee naughty.


And hot.  It was like 110 degrees!  That's like Africa hot.  I would oft perspire when simply walking to and fro.


Let us begin this story by discussing my mother.



Lest any of you are confused, my mom is the one with the dark hair, of which I am jealous of.


As you may have heard on this blog, my mom can be a goober when it comes to technology.  The night before we left, she decides she needs to get a smart phone.


Why?


Because she can. 


Me:  My parents are going into Verizon tonight to get smart phones.


David:  They're gonna get rolled.


And I am sure they did.  Because my parents walk into these types of stores announcing their ignorance and their willingness to pay.  Not very Dave Ramsey-ish.  Nope.  And yet they have purchased all the Dave Ramsey paraphernalia.  See?  They even got rolled by Dave Ramsey.


Do you know who Dave Ramsey is?  Are you wondering what on earth I am talking about?


You are not alone.


Anyways, so my mom has this smart phone now, of which she knows not how to use.  Let us discuss her first phone call with it, shall we?


Me:  Hello?


Mom (shouting, because apparently smart phones render you deaf): TAYLOR!  HAVE YOU BEEN TRYING TO GET A HOLD OF ME?


Me:  Nope.


Mom:  WE HAVE BEEN AT THE VERIZON STORE FOR HOURS.  YOUR FATHER AND I GOT SMART PHONES.  I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO USE IT.  THE SCREEN JUST GOES BLACK.  I COULD BARELY MAKE THIS PHONE CALL.


Me:  Wow!  You both got them, huh?


Mom:  YES.  YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH MONEY WE SPENT AFTER ALL THE ACCESSORIES THE GUY SAID WE NEEDED TO GET.


(You see what I mean?  They got rolled)


Mom: THERE IS A CLASS WE CAN TAKE ON HOW TO USE THE SMART PHONE.  BUT IT IS ON SUNDAYS AT 9 AM.   I HAVE CHURCH!  I LOOKED RIGHT AT THE SALESMAN AND SAID, "I SUPPOSE THE CLASS IS ONLY FOR THE UNCHURCHED THEN?  HMMMM?"


Me:  You probably shouldn't say that kind of stuff, Mom. 


So, that's a little background for you on my mom and her phone.  And that really doesn't have much to do with the Vegas recap, although it is humorous that a "churched" woman, such as herself, spent the weekend in naughty Vegas.


Because Vegas is wee naughty.


To clarify, we were not naughty.  But the atmosphere is a bit on the sketchy side.


So, we flew into Vegas and as soon as we stepped outside, we were literally knocked over by the mass amounts of heat.  I was in jeans and a t-shirt, because I lack a brain, and my goodness, that was not a good idea.


So, we spent the afternoon at the pool and then we got all gussied up to go on the strip.  Everyone in the world was vacationing at vegas.  There were throngs of people there.  All the hotels are massive and beautiful and really fun to look at.  Auntie Datenut drove over to meet us there.


Auntie told me I looked so cute with my long hair and my killer eyebrows.  I am not sure how to interpret the eyebrows part, but I will hope she means it in a good way.  Because I hate my eyebrows.  They have a weird curve.  What can you do?  Anyways, Auntie made me feel pretty and youthful, even though I am more mature in years now, and that made me feel pleasant.


We spent our days eating and laughing and walking and laughing and looking at hotels and laughing.
We really wanted to be able to relax by the pool, but the universe was against us.  On Sunday, as soon as we get to the pool, the lifeguards started yelling for everyone to get out of the pool.


Lightning.


So, that made us forlorn.  But the next day was blue skies and sunshine, so we went back to the pool, certain the lightning was not going to kick us out that day.


As we were "yucking" it up in the pool, the lifeguards started shouting for everyone to get out.


Again.


The people were revolting and basically ignoring them, on account of the lightning fiasco the day before.  But then, the lifeguards informed us there was, ahem, poo, in the pool.  That got everyone out in a jiff.


So, everyone had a good laugh and was looking at the poo, which had sunk to the bottom of the pool.


But then the lifegaurds brought out the tape:



and roped off the pool.  The poo just sat there.  I don't know if they were waiting for a hazmat team or what, but I was thinking if they offered me a free stay, I would totally throw on some gloves and pick it up.


Do you know how much poo I have cleaned up in my life?  It ain't no thang.


They closed the pool for 24 hours on account of that little poo.  And as a result of poo and lightning, I do not have bronzed skin, like I was hoping.


Such is life.


It was good to come home though.  I missed my family and I got to come home to a clean house, washed "rig", and my girls had all the laundry caught up!


I am happy to report summer has come to these here parts!  It is gorgeous and warm and sunny.


Therefore, today I am going to the beach with the fab four.


I hope we have a lovely, poop-free, lightning-free swim.


I hope you all had a lovely weekend!


PS-I know you have all been dying to know what book I purchased for my Kindle.  I am chose The Help and I think it is really good so far!

23 comments:

  1. You made a good choice on the book! It's officially one of my all-time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you what: The Lumberjack's Wife is officially an educational blog. I have never heard of the term "rolled" in relation to getting ripped off.

    I shall use it five times in a sentence this week and feel really smart and hip.

    Thank you Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why we always go to Vegas in the winter. Wait, I lied. We go on all our vacations in the winter because that's the only time we can get away from the farm.

    And Vegas is wee naughty. :)

    Marla @ www.blueskiesphotoblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor, I know who Dave Ramsey is, love him! The "Help" is on my Kindle, loved it, can't wait to see the movie. I'm a lot older than your pretty mom, but tell her I can teach her to use her smart phone. But not on Sunday for I am a "churcher" too. Oh but I forgot, I don't know where she lives. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose The Help for my Kindle vacation read as well. Very good book. Also, I would have picked up the poo for a free stay too, when you have kids of certain age, you pick up poo all day long anyway. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Help is awesome and I can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, the wisdom of Dave Ramsey. Do they religiously follow Suze Orman as well? My mom's favorite phrases about 10 months ago always started with "Dave Ramsey says" or 'Suze Orman says." And isn't it terrible when someone in your life has that one weakness that everyone including the neighbor's pet chinchilla can see heading for disaster?
    Parents + new technology = $$$$$$ spent
    My husband + frivolous gadgets sold in malls = $$$$$ spent

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny girl.

    Love your mom's comment about the class being for the unchurched. AND your willingness to clean poo.
    Since it's in your daily job description and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had a great time with you mom and aunt in Vegas. I love my mom, but any time we spend more than a full day together, I get a bit snotty/whiny and all my obnoxious teenage angst behavior rears its ugly head. Even when I'm very post partum. But I have a great mom who looks past all that to the desperate little girl who wants to act all big and know-it-all-like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in Houston last weekend. It is stifling there too but we still managed to have fun. You and your mom look so cute, eyebrows and all : )

    So, hubs wants me to get an iphone but I'm afraid your mom and I are quite similar in some ways. ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read The Help on my Kindle too. Now I feel like a follower, although I did it first, so it's hard to say who's following who. Hopefully Oprah isn't the one who discovered that book, because then I'd be following her. And I already had my Oprah Book Club phase.

    Anyways.

    Sounds like you had an eventful trip to Vegas. I always love to read how you can make the everyday little things interesting and hil.ar.i.ous. I'm uber jealous of the fact that you actually got away somewhere by yourself on a PLANE with your mom and sister. I've only been on one plane in the last ten years. Lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have an actual paperback copy of "The Help" which I have yet to read. It's hilarious that you would be willing to clean up the poo and I loooove you mother's comment about the class for the unchurched! Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, eyebrows in a very good way. Just wondered if you used product. Miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to Vegas once, backed in my single days, long long day ago (my son's terminology). It was wee naughty back then too, and the people only treated you nicely if they thought you were going to spend $$$$$$. It kind of gave me the heebie jeebies.
    My dear husband got me a smart phone for mother's day and the first time it rang I had no idea how to answer it, seriously. After I figured that out it was all easy as pie, and I am MUCH more mature than you, but probably a little younger than your momma. I love my phone. Glad you all had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just started reading that book a few days ago. Trying to finish it before the movie comes out in August. Sounds like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so qualified to do the dirty work! :) If there is poo in a pool, I am so outta there. Blech.
    Your stories about your parents crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you're back! It has been HOT in my corner of the world. Like 106. Literally. Why why WHY!

    but I am wearing jeans, because those are the only maternity pants I own, and I am not brave enough to try to squeeze into new pants of the capri variety. I refuse to buy maternity when I'm not pregnant. You see the problem right?

    Sorry about the poo. It seems to follow you...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Dave Ramsey and when i choose to do his plan, it works...which reminds me, my husband and I talked of that plan just yesterday while we sipped on some Starbucks...i need to work on implementing that plan today asap. Also loved your mom's story...I have wanted to take a Nook tutorial at our closest B&N (35 minutes from home) but they have it on Thursday evenings and I have a women's bible study on Thursday evenings...do peeps not understand us 'churchers'...ugh?! lol And finally, your pool stories made me cringe...I hate when a vaca desn't include hours of pool/beach life...:( I'm sad for you. I do hope you get lots of fun and sun back home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you're back. I missed my daily chuckle. :) I hope your mama gets the hang of her smart phone soon. Poor thing, gettin' rolled like that. ;) Holla!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you got to get away - and so nice to come home to a clean house! I saw Dave Ramsey's house while I was in Tennessee, it is something of a mansion.. but I am sure he payed cash for it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your mum's church thing just cracked me up! Nice you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read The Help and, in light of that, I find it extremely ironic that there was a poo incident involved in your vacation. Finish the book and you'll find out why. ;)

    Glad you had a good time in naughty Vegas. There is a reason they call it Sin City!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are too funny! "It ain't no thang" ... hilarious!

    ReplyDelete