Sunday, October 4, 2009

Acts 17

When I was in junior high, I started regularly attending a youth group.  I had always grown up in the church, but it was when I was in  junior high that I began to have a true desire to follow Jesus. 

I had math class in the 8th grade around 10 or 11 in the morning.  I sat at the same desk every day.  I kept tally marks on the top right corner of the desk and would mark with my pencil (so I could erase later and not get in trouble!) the days that I had remembered to spend time in prayer.

I used to think that was really dumb that I did that.  But now, I am glad I did.  And I almost need that in my life again.  The days get busy and crazy and full of errands, dishes, diapers, discipline, homework, issues, and , just life.  Sometimes I forget to stop and pray.

I had a King James Version Bible, by choice.  Even though it is harder to understand, I loved the words used and remember many verses from this old language.  I also loved the old words in hymns.  I have always found them beautiful.

I remember finding a passage in Acts 17 that I loved in the 8th Grade.  I might be completely wrong, but what I understand of this chapter is this:

Paul is in Athens.  The people of Athens are idol worshippers.  It seems like they wanted to worship every god out there to "have their bases covered."  They had an altar to "An Unknown God," just to be sure.

The men of Athens ask Paul what his new teachings are all about.

Here is his reply:

"Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

 23For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

 24God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

 25Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

 26And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

 27That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

 28For in him we live, and move, and have our being . . . "

I love this passage.  I underlined the parts that have always stuck out to me.

What are your thoughts on this passage?

Does anyone know any more about it?

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it cool how he says "Yeah, um you know that UNKNOWN God? Well I KNOW HIM!!! (Him I declare unto you)"
    Jessie at Blog Schmog and other places ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite stories in Acts. The name of the place Paul was at in Athens is Mars Hill - and what I love the most about the story is that he started right where he found them. They were interested in their Gods, and that's what he approached them with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. I think the real God is so accessible, yet people are more willing to take the time to make up their own gods and religious constructs because it's easier than giving over control of their lives. I think 90 percent of the barrier between humans and the one true God is refusal to give up control of one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the people of Athens knew they were missing something. They had all these gods, but they knew their gods weren't covering everything ...and there must be one who would fill in the gaps. He was the unknown God. Paul desribes Who God is in one of the most beautiful ways every written, IMO.

    ReplyDelete