Thursday, October 8, 2009

Frugal Friday: A recipe

Ok!  Here is my first contribution to Frugal Friday. 

Everyone else probably has some way more clever posts today, like 101 ways to reuse a plastic shopping bag.

But this is all I got for now.

And I didn't even come up with this recipe on my own.

 This recipe makes two meals, one for tonight and one to freeze:

Cheddar Beef Enchiladas
  • 1 pound ground beef

  • 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning

  • 1 cup water

  • 2 cups cooked rice

  • 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans

  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

  • 10 (8 inch) flour tortillas

  • 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa

  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

  • DIRECTIONS



    1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in rice. Cook and stir until liquid is evaporated. Spread about 2 tablespoons of refried beans, 1/4 cup beef mixture and 1 tablespoon cheese down the center of each tortilla; roll up. Place seam side down in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dishes.

    2. Combine salsa and soup; pour down the center of enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake one casserole, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cover and freeze remaining casserole for up to 3 months.





    • To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.



    My Tips:

    After I brown the beef and add the taco seasoning, I just put the beans, rice, and cheese in the skillet and combine it all and then just spoon that mixture into the tortillas.  Much easier.

    I use generic brand cream of chicken soup to save on money-tastes the same.

    I buy flour tortillas from Costco-you get 40 for $4-$5.

    I buy salsa from Costco-a huge container for $3-$4.

    If I have lettuce, I serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and salsa.

    Enjoy!

    5 comments:

    1. yum, can't wait to try it!! :-)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sounds delicious! I love Mexican food!
      Thanks for the recipe. (:

      ReplyDelete
    3. So, Miss "I have a well-used crockpot", I need some slow-cooker recipes. Please share!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yum, sounds tasty! And easy...I like easy ;)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Actually, this is Aunt Shirl...I don't know WHY his name comes up on MY e-mail..???!!!
      But, I digress....This recipe sounds wonderful...with my very full
      household, it will definitely be on the list!! THANK YOU!!

      Poor Hadley-girl. The pain only a little girl can know when her daddy leaves her. 9 days is a lifetime. :(

      ReplyDelete