Thursday, October 29, 2009

Crazykins

In-laws.
christmas 2007 018a
Mine are crazy.


They call burritos tacos.


They put ketchup on their tacos, which are actually burritos.


They pronounce the word "measure", "may-zure."


They wash and reuse ziplock bags.


They have 3 different garbage cans: trash, burn, compost.


I never know which one to use.


Gum is the trickiest for me.


The lumberjack tells me to put it in the burn trashcan.


But then my father-in-law gets angry and gripes about scraping gum out of the burn barrels.


And then the lumberjack laughs and laughs and tells him I did it.


Which has led me to believe that the lumberjack has played a trick on me.


It is best to just swallow the gum.


They buy spices in bulk.


They raise their own chickens for farm fresh eggs.


They raise their own pigs.


They have names for their beef.


They always use tablecloths.


They make their own applesauce.


They smear said applesauce on pork chops.


They lather said applesauce on chocolate cake.


They glob said applesauce on chocolate chip cookies.


They are big fans of their applesauce.


Christmas 2008 006
Their Christmas lists ask for drills, wrenches, shop vacs, and pressure washers.


They fix their own cars.


They tile their own floors.


They refinish their own furniture.


s42349ca111624_27_0They used to make me blush when discussing their stripping parties.


But now, I understand that stripping means something different to those who refinish furniture.


They are very different from my family.


My family is not weird at all.


Nope.


Not one bit.


IMG_3992We correctly say "measure."


We know the difference between burritos and tacos.


We put salsa on tacos and burritos.


We put ketchup on burgers.


We call repairmen when something is broken.


We just buy new furniture.


We buy eggs from the store.


We buy pork from the store.


We buy beef from the store.


We buy applesauce from the store.


We buy plenty of ziplock bags and throw them away after each use.


And to the best of my knowledge, my parents have never stripped regularly on Thursdays.


If you know otherwise, please don't tell me.


In-laws.


IMG_3954Yes, they are different.


But, they are pretty fun, too.


After 9 years, I am definitely getting used to their wacky ways.


I helped make applesauce.


I've caught myself calling a burrito a taco.


I put out salsa and ketchup when making tacos.


I am married to my own repairman.


I've even stripped with the Lumberjack.


A table, people.


We stripped a table.


Goodness.


But I will never, ever, ever reuse a ziplock bag.


That is just crossing the line.

12 comments:

  1. I will never reuse a ziplock bag either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I have my drug of choice again! Another great blog Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I love a good laugh! And so you know, I also wash and reuse my ziplock bags. I know, I know. I watched my mother do this growing up, and now I am my mother. "Waste not, want not!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always re-used our ziploc bags growing up. And we had chickens and goats. And my dad built our house. And we made apple sauce and various other canned goods. I think I like your in-laws! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was me, Lani. I guess I need to make a username because of your creepy stalker. I'll get right on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoo hoo!!! I am IN! :-) love this post and am envious of your in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing up I swore I would never reuse my ziploc bags, but now in my efforts to be frugal I just can't help but wash and reuse them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm sure you've stripped other things together, too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. plastic is evil I use corning ware refrigerator containers. They go well in the dishwasher too. Hey, gimme a break I'm from California where wasting water to wash a ziploc is blasphemy good thing I don't have a blog or I might get alot of flak for this comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] This was my first glimpse into the frugal lives of my crazykin in-laws. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not, will not, clean and reuse a ziplock... but I do have inlaws that won't even use a ziplock. They are so cheap they just leave it on the couner wrapped in Kleenex. Seriously? Stale?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this was forever ago, but I just found the blog and this post through the Show Us Your Life thing and had to comment.
    My family reuses Ziploc bags. My dad washes them out, lets them dry, and puts them back in the drawer. :) Sometimes I throw them away, if I don't want to bring them home with me, but most of the time when I'm finished with a Ziploc bag, I'll put it by the sink for it to get washed and reused. :)

    ReplyDelete