Thursday, October 15, 2009

Frugal Friday

I am linking up at Kelly's Korner today!


Visit her fab site for more ideas on where to shop! 


[banner.png]


How to save money on a babysitter:


DSC_0052Have your children come down with high fevers, runny noses, sore throats and coughs.


No amount of money can persuade any sane person to come to a house where 4/5ths of the population have a questionable virus.


  DSC_0053I was originally going to have to pay a sitter on Wednesday evening and on Thursday morning this week.


DSC_0060


But, no.


Four unconfirmed cases of possible swine flu saved me from this expense.


That's a savings of 100%!


I'll tell you what's NOT frugal:


 


DSC_0067
This here ear thermometer.


I believe it cost me about $35.


You can get a glass mercury thermometer for like $3.


But who can read those?


Honestly.


And we all know where we have to put said thermometer in little children.


Let's just not go there.


Literally.


So when you have to take 4 squirmy childrens' temperatures multiple times a day for days on end, it becomes worth every selfish penny to buy a $35 ear thermometer.


So, this Friday is the second Friday for our Blog Carnival, Frugal Friday.


Click on the Frugal Friday badge on the right hand side of this blog to see the host site and view more entries.


Because I am sure others have been more helpful than I have been today.


Okay, okay, okay.


I will be a little more helpful.


If any of you shop at Fred Meyer ever, here is what you need to know:


1)  First of all find the shopping ads.  Most grocery stores around these here parts run their ads from Wednesday through Tuesday.  Fred Meyer runs their from Sundays through Saturdays.  These ads are available in the front of the store.  If you forget your ad, or view it online, and the store is out of ads, just tell the cashier which coupon you want to use and they will honor it.


2)  If they are out of your item, they give you a rain check.  You have 6 weeks to use it.


3)  They always have a good deal on milk.  Averages out to be about $2 a gallon.


4)  They have the cheapest bread.  50 cents a loaf, limit 4.  No coupon, just regular price.   Just freeze the extra.  Pull a loaf out and set it on your counter.  It is ready to go in a couple of hours. 


5)  Fred Meyer brand generic cream of mushroom soup, 50 cents a can, limit 4.  No coupon, regular price. I think it tastes the same as Campbell's.


6)  On Sundays, they have discounted meat that is about to expire.  This grosses me out, however, as I can barely stand extremely fresh raw meat.  I cannot bring myself to buy "iffy" meat.


7)  Sign up for a rewards card.  You earn points and can save money on their gas.  We were able to save 15 cents a gallon!


 


Happy Frugal Friday!


 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the "frugal finds" I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kids look downright sad! Poor babies! And mommy. Why on earth did they choose to get sick the week daddy is gone? I know - stupid question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so sad :( I am praying for you all. I hope they get better soon and that you don't get it too bad!
    Thanks for the tips..I shop at Fred Meyer often and learned some new ones today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Fred Meyer's tips. I really do forget to shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were able to go within a mile of a grocery store without vomiting out of sheer chagrin, that Fred Meyer info would have helped me out an awful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Freddy's. It's my favorite! I can't believe I haven't seen you there with the amount of time and money I spend there. P.S. You forgot to mention the free babysitting at Fred Meyer's (if your kids are healthy, that is). That's frugal! I knew a couple who would put their son in the playland and go have a "date" for an hour at the Starbucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geeez Louise! These photos are heartwrenching. Poor poor babies, poor poor Mommy. What you need is a wife and a few more sisters to help you out. Maybe an old auntie. Guess I better come for a visit next hunting season. (So.... what's is worth to ya, Dave? :) I can make a list

    ReplyDelete