Saturday, October 10, 2009

Applesauce!

Walk into any local grocery store.
You will find many different food products readily available to purchase.


One such product is applesauce.


And until I met my in-laws, I didn't really realize people actually made their own applesauce.


But they do.


They really do.


There are people out there who do this sort of thing.


And now I am one of them.


DSC_0001


Everyone pitched in and helped . . .


DSC_0003


which is probably why this process took 6 hours.


DSC_0006


But they were good little helpers.


DSC_0009


Even this guy.


DSC_0015


Not so much this guy.


DSC_0017


The menfolk were off woodcutting, hunting, crab fishing, and golf watching.


So us ladyfolk had to gab in the kitchen . . .


DSC_0073
and splatter apples all over ourselves.


Okay, that was just me.


Lisa had pity on me and gave me her husband's t-shirt to work in.


Thanks, Jack!


DSC_0019


Handsome dude's job was to load apples into the sink so they could be washed.


DSC_0021


He took this job quite seriously.


DSC_0014This guy lost focus on his way to the sink.


He also adorned himself with some jewels for the occasion.


Nice.


DSC_0025


Taste testers . . .


DSC_0030Pretending to enjoy the taste of applesauce without the added sugar and cinnamon.


DSC_0051I wonder how much "double dipping" was going on?


 The girls immediately added gobs of cinnamon and sugar.


That applesauce needed some help.


DSC_0063Well, well, well.


Look who showed up 4 hours into this process.


Jason.


The golf watcher.


We put him right to work.


DSC_0065Not only did he come late, but he brought himself a Starbucks and did not bother to bring us ladyfolk some.


Whatever.


And that is why I just put two pictures of him on this blog.


Take that, Jason.


DSC_0069Time to fill the jars.


DSC_0074Wait for it . . .


DSC_0075Wait for it . . .


DSC_0076


Lots and lots of applesauce!


Tastes much better than store bought . . . but oh, so much work!

11 comments:

  1. looks like fun! i bet it tastes MUCH better than what you find at the store! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That's a lot of applesauce! Looks like the kids had fun at least ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love to learn a new skill but applesauce is so cheap. Well, I do the same with sewing. I spend an inordinate amount of time on things I could buy for under $50. Looks very organized and fun. More great memories for the fam. Hope to see you soon. Wish I had some fun stuff going on around here to send photos of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Taylor, lookin good, how's pore legs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad bad Jason Hi Jackie, hi Lisa, hi kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that Lisa's house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that was Lisa's house. My legs are ok, thanks! Still bruised, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to do this growing up-but we never canned, we just froze it and that's my favorite way to have it-mostly frozen applesauce-yum! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I can't do anything. You make me feel like a worthless male — which I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love homemade applesauce. I was really ambitious the first year we lived here in our apple orchard. Now the deer get most of them or people come get them to use as bear bait. :( Bill brought in a bag he picked tonight. I promise to do something tasty with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm! Homemade applesauce is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete