Thursday, May 10, 2012

How a Stomach Bug Blessed Me

David and I were almost asleep a few nights ago when Handsome Dude came into our room, crying of a tummy ache.  I let him into our bed and we started to snuggle.  HD fell asleep right away and I remember falling asleep, thanking God for my sweet boy who was growing up way too fast.


There is a moment, dear readers, when you start to fall asleep and it is pure bliss.  Do you know this moment?  You know . . . that perfect time when you are all comfortable and cozy?  Well, it was at this precise moment that Handsome Dude threw up all over me.


And I mean ALL over me.  It was in my hair.  On my face.  On my neck.  On my shirt.  On my pillow.  On my bed.  It was the most disgusting moment of my life.


And have you read my blog?  That's saying a lot.


So, David and I got up and started the detoxification process.  HD was upset and I was helping him into the shower.  He looked at me, covered in his vomit and said,


"Mom.  I got a wittle frow up on you.  Sorry."


We finally got back into bed and, of course, I could not sleep.  I didn't want to disturb anyone, so I grabbed my phone to do a little reading.  I saw a link to an article called How to Miss a Childhood on Facebook.


I was in no mood to be convicted, so I decided I would not read it.  Isn't that awful?  But then, when sleep still would not come, I decided to read it.  And it convicted me.


I think all of you should read it, but if you don't, it is basically challenging parents to think about all the things that take away their attention and focus during the day.  This article focuses on phones a lot, but there are many other things in life that can take your attention away from your child.


Facebook


Blogs (which is ironic, since I am writing this on a blog.  ha!)


Emails


TV


Phone calls


Texts


Games


Maybe even chores and other household stresses?


There are days when my husband gets home late.  Since we live a bit away from life, I can get pretty lonely.  I am thankful for the opportunity to connect with others online or visit with a friend through texting.  But, I do need to be careful of how often and when I do these things.


The author of the article stated that you should consider not even checking your phone for texts and emails and stoplights.  Well, I do this and never thought it was a big deal.  But, yesterday, which was "Going To Town Day," I decided to really limit my distractions and how much time I looked at my phone.


It was pretty tough.  I ain't gonna lie.


We arrived at the library to return some books.  Daisy Mae asked if she could take the books to the book drop.  And I said,


"Yes!"


Because then I could check my phone!  Brilliant!


But, I remembered my "challenge" and put the phone back and looked at Daisy Mae.  At that moment, she looked right at me to see if I was watching her.


I gave her a thumbs up sign and she in turn gave me a huge grin.


She was pretty proud of herself.  And I can't blame her.  Putting books in a drop box is quite the accomplishment.


I realized that if I had been on my phone, my daughter, who was looking for my approval, would have looked at a mom who was staring at her phone.  She might not have noticed that she did not get a thumbs up sign, but she would see that her mom was, once again, distracted with things that aren't really worthy of so much time.


I am now thankful that Handsome Dude threw up all over me.  If he had not, I would not have showered and woke myself all up.  If I was not awake, I would not have read that article.


If I had not read that article, I would not have been convicted.  And although being convicted is never all fun and giggles, it is a big blessing.  Because it offers you a chance to change things that you don't like.


So go read that article.  I hope you find it encouraging.


14 comments:

  1. "I wasn't in the mood to be convicted." HAHA!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. However, since I've already been convicted about such computer/phone distractions . . . I shall read this "stupid article" (not really) and be further convicted. For conviction is where growth happens. And growing is so fun. So, thank you for this article I'm about to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, need to read/do that. Thanks for the reminder. Here I am sitting in an indoor water park, "resting"! Better go find my son and get in the wave pool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Okay I'm going now. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any moral lesson that is reinforced by a coating of vomit will stick with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah. I read that too.

    but I'm glad I didn't have to get up-chucked on to read it.
    You know how I feel about vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, I saw the link to that article, too. I didn't read it for the same exact reason as you. But now I think I should. Thanks for being so honest! Hope HD is feeling better. If one of my kids would have done that, my hubby would have thrown up right after him! He can't handle that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I don't believe in the fallacy of "quality time." Kids don't wait and save up things to show and tell you. They are immediate. You'd miss the moment at the library if you were at work. I know parents have to work and it's a shame. I'm glad I always chose to stay with my kid even being broke for as long as I could and after to just work part-time. I didn't blog, nor cook much, nor talk on the phone or watch TV. With the result that now I think my kid is sick of me. har har. I don't understand the use of the word 'convicted' though?? Sorry HD is sick, but perhaps you should have seen that one coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I havent read that article but recently Ive been trying to stay away from the internet more. I think it gets easier the nicer the weather.
    That being said, I dont even own a cell phone! I am sure if I did it would be much harder, since I could easily bring the internet with me everywhere.

    I hope you and HD are both feeling better :)
    When my daughter was a baby I was holding her above me and she threw up directly into my mouth. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad he threw up on you also.
    Think how many children he helped by throwing up on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, this almost made me cry. I'm so guilty of this. Blogging is the thing that keeps me from paying as much attention to the kids as I should. I had a bad day yesterday and told the kids not once but twice to leave me alone so I could write... The last thing I want to do is miss their childhoods. I'm really glad you posted this--and the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read it, either, but mainly because I think I know what it says already. I know very well I need to be on the computer and my phone less...I also need to be spending more time reading Scripture than blogs. (But don't worry...I'll keep reading here. ;) )
    Thanks for the reminder. :) Hope everyone is fine, and HD is better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speaking of babies and throw-up...Once I and a friend with her new baby were chaperoning a church dance. We were talking to some of the young people in another room, not the dance floor, lights on and all. One of the nicely dressed young ladies asked to hold the baby and my friend passed him to her, nicely wrapped in his thin blanket. But First she said, he throws up a lot, I don't want you to get your dress dirty. The girl insisted, and her date watched as she held the baby up in the air to coo at him and the baby promptly threw up down the low neck of her dress!! The young man was so grossed out! It was not a good start to the dance...

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I, too, saw that article on FB and skipped over it. Now I have read it. Thank you! I am guilty of several of those things, especially the "they won't notice" type distractions.

    It especially hit home that your daughter was looking for your approval when she dropped the books at the library. I wonder how many of those I have missed?

    Extending this lesson, I have had (and ignored) complaints from my husband about not looking at him while he talks to me. I guess I have a lot to work on...

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOu are gently convicting. Thank you. I am convicted, but not feeling badly about myself.

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete