Thursday, December 31, 2009

7

7 years ago, I was just finishing up student teaching and preparing to graduate from college with my B.S. in Elementary Education.


I was also preparing to have my first baby:


n1418125169_295913_6640610


Yikes.


It was a time of firsts:


*First stretch marks


*First time wearing pants with elastic waists


*First time learning not to care how many people know how much you weigh


*First time learning not to care how many people see you while you are, um, indecent (gasp!)


*First time seeing incredibly high numbers on the scale and just hoping that, someday, I would weigh less than my husband again


Well, the day to have my baby finally came.


We got to the hospital at 5am for an induction.


At 6pm, they broke my water.


At 10pm, I pleaded for an epidural.


Yes.


I am woman enough to admit it.


I heart epidurals.


So, around 11, the nurse suggested me and the Lumberjack get some sleep before the baby came.


Sleep?!?!


Are you kidding me!


I laid there are all cozy in my bed watching Frasier reruns and watching the contraction monitor machine go berserk.


Seriously.


Watching Frazier reruns in a cozy bed is the only way to pass the time while dilating from a 6 to a 10.


I heart epidurals.


Well, around 2:30am, I knew something had changed and I was sure it was time to push.


But during my t.v. watching, the remote with the nurse call button had dropped onto the ground.


I could not reach it.


I was like a beached and paralyzed whale laying there in my bed.


I heart epidurals.


So.


The tv is on.


I cannot turn it off.


I cannot call the nurse.


I cannot get out of bed (but I still heart epidurals).


I cannot wake the Lumberjack.


Wait?


What!?


My Lumberjack?


Sleeping?


DSC_0103


Sleeping while eagerly awaiting the birth of his firstborn?


IMG_3023


That's unlike him.


But, alas, he was asleep.


So I start calling out,


"Um, help!  I'm ready!"


No one can hear me over the sounds of the Lumberjack snoring and the prompted laughter of Frasier's studio audience.


What's a gal to do?


So, I did the only respectable thing I could do . . .


I grabbed the only item within my reach:  the vomit bucket.


Then I took that bucket and chucked it at the Lumberjack.


Don't judge me.


Have you ever felt the sensation of a baby about to exit your body?


You would do it, too.


The Lumberjack woke up.


He was a tiny bit cranky.


He got the nurse.


And at 4:40am, Sweet Pea was born.


baby kate


Oh, man.


Did our world change.


kate no pics please


We had no idea what we were doing.


Seriously.


Not one clue.


baby k


At least I didn't want to superglue her mouth shut when she wouldn't stop crying.


But, I was pretty clueless, nonetheless.


I thought you had to change a baby's diaper after each and every feeding . . . even the 2am feeding.


So, I would feed her.


She would be all cozy and sleepy.


But instead of laying her back down, I would take her into her room, flip on the light, and begin changing her diaper.


Then she would do that classic newborn trick and pee all over herself during the diaper change.


Now, when that would happen with number four, I would just take a baby wipe to him and call it good.


But not with my firstborn.


I would strip her down and give her a full bath.


At 2am.


And then I would stare at her and wonder why she wasn't sleepy.


Oh, well.


Live and learn.


kate potty training


She is a precious girl who melts my heart.


applesauce


She is a very helpful big sister.


2009_9_30 014


She is awesome at everything.


2009_9_20 138


She's just a kick in the pants.


Happy Birthday to Sweet Pea!!!!!!!!!!

16 comments:

  1. You are way to young to have a 7 year old! And I heart epidurals too.. especially since I had C-sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post! What a beautiful little girl! I got my husband some superglue in his stocking... I should probably make him hide it...
    I heart epidurals too, and hope I never know what it's like not to have one! No shame here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonder firstborns survive at all...

    Happy Birthday to your little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Sweet Pea! Give her a hug for me :)
    I too heart epidurals. Amazing how quick life turns upside down when a baby comes. Did you ever graduate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The firstborn's birthday is always extra special, since it's kind of our birthday, too. :)

    My degree is in Elementary Ed as well. Once again, no choice but to like you. Same degree, husband's with same name and same profession...

    AND my husband is also insane in the middle of the night. There ya have it.

    I am positive I have seen you around RLM, but I was sure you were someone else's wife. Do you have a twin who's married to a staff member?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I hate typos. Husbands (not husband's) with same name. Are you neurotic as well?

    And four kids. Forgot to mention that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I have never used my degree, but I've got one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I don't have a twin! :) I wonder who you are thinking of? I do work in children's ministry at church, but my husband is not on staff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I was cracking up! A beached whale...that's what I called myself, too. Obviously you did a wonderful job raising her, because look at her now! Who'd ever know you were clueless? :) And epidurals are, in fact, wonderfully perfect things God has gifted us. Happy Birthday, Sweet Pea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm such a dork. I though you were married to Tracy, but I truly have no idea WHY I thought that! And now I know who his real wife is.. :)

    You & I were pregnant with #4 at the same time, and I remember being a wee bit jealous that I wasn't as adorable as you.

    Now I'm mostly jealous that I'm not as funny as you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still clueless . . . just in different areas. :) Like rinsing chicken . . . what to call cows/beefs . . . why I can't pass gas when I pull my finger . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa! She is my very dear friend who I steal all my clothes from. I mention her often in my posts.
    Say hi next time you see me at church!
    I'm not a cute pregnant person, but that is thoughtful of you to think so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to her! I am feeling like a beached whale right now, so I was laughing while reading this. The same "husband sleeping while not being able to do anything on the bed" thing happened to me too! I was pretty pissed off because he got some sleep and I didn't. I didn't realize it was a common happening! Thanks for the laugh.
    PS Thank you for the card for Alex, even though I could not find it when I was going to give it to him. You saw me putting it in my purse, right? I wonder where it went... So sorry... But Alex says thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy birthday, sweet pea!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday Sweet Pea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got totally gypped! I suffered for hours and only when I was half dead they gave me an epidural about 5 minutes before they decided to do a C section anyway. Main reason Neil is an only child! You did great. SP is awesome and I hope she thinks she is all of her life and doesn't get all timid and insecure when she hits high school.

    ReplyDelete