Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Lumberjack Carves a Bird.


I decided to roast a bird.


If you recall, I don't like dealing with raw chicken.


But, I decided to man up.


I pushed up my sleeves . . .


I shoved my hand right up into that bird's cavity . . .


and then I pulled out whatever it is you pull out.


Dis-gusting.


Then I chopped up some other junk and herbs and shoved that mixture right back up into that bird's cavity.


Poor bird.


I had envisioned a wonderful family dinner.


My lovely roasted chicken meat, accompanied by some lemon rice and glazed carrots.


Yes.


I can be a "Susie Homemaker" from time to time.


This is what the meat was supposed to look like:



I asked my Lumberjack to carve the bird for me.


Isn't that traditionally what the man is supposed to do?


Besides . . .


I had already had my fill of poultry-touching for the evening.



The Lumberjack needs no utensils.


He ignored the knife I laid out for him.


He just took his two bare hands, and ripped everything off of that carcass.


Here are some words I could do without when reading a recipe:


cavity


carcass


neck


mushrooms


I greatly dislike mushrooms.



Waste not, want not.


What I found to be the most disturbing part of the entire evening was that was there were pieces of meat that were still pinkish/red in color at the edges.



Why?


Hmmmm . . .


100 (meaningless) points to whoever can tell me why the meat was pinkish/red.


200 (meaningless) points to whoever can assure me that it was not dried blood.


I find this whole process quite disturbing.



I am not sure if I will ever recover.


I might have to become a vegetarian.


 

18 comments:

  1. but did it taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did that yesterday with a turkey. It is pretty disturbing to see all the different colors of meat! I sadly can't give you a scientific reason why, but I do know that it's ok to eat =) And I agree, mushrooms should never be part of any recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%. I do not like touching raw meat. I deal with touching hamburger and steaks and boneless skinless chicken breast. But I don't do the poultry still whole thing. At Thanksgiving I cook everything but the bird. I make my lovely husband do that. Gross. I also like ALL of my meat WELL done. No pink....at all. And mushrooms are gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking pink for a chicken means it's not done - it's still bloody - VERY gross! I know when meat is smoked it can sometimes be pink, but I'm thinking you roasted, not smoked, that bird. You know, I have found that buying boneless, skinless, chicken breasts and cooking them on the grill or the oven is much desirable to that whole bird concept. And hopefully you didn't eat that pink stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This copied directly from the USDA website:

    "Pink Meat
    The color of cooked chicken is not a sign of its safety. Only by using a food thermometer can one accurately determine that chicken has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F throughout. The pink color in safely cooked chicken may be due to the hemoglobin in tissues which can form a heat-stable color. Smoking or grilling may also cause this reaction, which occurs more in young birds."

    This happens ALL the time to me when I cook whole chickens or turkey, is perfectly safe, and won't harm anyone. I promise. You should use your instant read thermometer, however, to always determine if it's done-that is truely the only accurate way to tell.
    And, I won't hold it against you, but mushrooms are my favorite food!! So sad we must disagree on this! I could eat them for every meal. Yummy. Anyhew, just thought you should know..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That kind of pink is okay.

    I love mushrooms.

    I like meat medium rare...except poultry of course.

    I can handle the turkey innards without feeling squeamish but there are times when raw chicken completely does me in.

    In the UK I ordered fresh turkey from the butcher for Thanksgiving. He gave it to me fully cleaned with everything from inside all nicely neatly bagged. My kind of turkey! Course a friend had reminded me to be sure and tell them I wanted it plucked. I might have died on the spot if I'd been handed a turkey with feathers. ewww.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well . . . it was okay. I had like one bite. Too grossed out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um . . .feathers would have sent me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a wealth of information, my lovely!

    Mushrooms are sick and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So disturbing . . . and wrong . . . and sick . . . and wrong . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually buy boneless, skinless breasts, but these were on sale and I couldn't resist.

    I will probably resisit next time, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What...if it is pink the meat is not cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would be unfortunate and disgusting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. not to add to the chicken gross out, but...I hate when I buy wings or drumsticks and find the hair or feather folicle still on them, this makes me want to fling it in the trash on the spot...was that too gross?

    Yeah, food without faces and hair seems pretty appealing when you encounter stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously? Hair?

    Yes.

    I am definitely going to become a vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhh, mushrooms are so so so very tasty

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't care about the reason, I ain't eating any pink chicken meat. For these and many other reasons, I hate cooking altogether, gimme a bag of tortilla chips, some cheese for protein and an avocado for the veggie part.

    ReplyDelete