Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Oleo.

I loved my grandma.


(She is the one on the right side of the car.)


She was my bestest buddy.


We were pen pals.


We were phone pals.


I have many wonderful memories of her.


She lived far away.


Whenever I missed her, I would sneak into the bathroom and smell Mentholatum.


My grandma always smelled of Metholatum.


And for that reason, I will always love Mentholatum.


Raise your hand if you have never heard of Mentholatum.


It does exist.


I promise.


The last time I saw my grandma was in October of 2006.


My mom and I took my girls for a visit.


Daisy Mae, who was 1 1/2 at the time, did not like Great Grandma.


Except she called her, "Date-Damma."


Daisy Mae would never give Date Damma a hug.


Daisy Mae would never say hello to Date Damma.


I was getting quite frustrated with Daisy Mae.


"Honey, why will you not hug Great Grandma?"


And Daisy Mae looked at me, with her furrowed  brow:


"Me no like-a Date Damma.  He no talk-a-me."


It was true.


My grandma did not talk much anymore at that point.


But I still have memories of all our moments together.


I still have letters that she wrote to me.


I can recall many conversations.


"Honey, tell me, what kind of oleo do you prefer?"


"Huh?"


"What kind of oleo do you prefer?"


Oleo?


100 (meaningless) points to anyone who under the age of 67 who knows what oleo is.


 


My grandma passed away in January of 2007.


I miss her very much.


Today would have been her birthday.


Happy Birthday, Grandma!

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! (I adore that first picture! I wish I had a cool photo of my Grandmother like that!)

    My grandmother was also my best friend. In fact, just last night I had a big cry fest when her email address popped up as I typed an email on my gmail account, I almost BCC'd her on that email. Even though I know she'll never get it...


    Happy Birthday to your Grandmother! I hope "Date-Damma" is enjoying her day while looking down on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sweet post! i just love the pics you have of her!! and i have no idea what oleo is - can't wait to find out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories. My grandma always smells like Mentholatum too! She swears by the stuff. She was always putting it on us at bed when we were little:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oleo - margarine................. I am so old..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually do know what Oleo is! Margarine! Yes, I saw it on Sharyl's comment but I did know even before that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mentholatum and oleo - yep, I am old! Nice tribute - I think Date-Damma would smile big if she read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Ozarks farm chick remembers when it was called oleo. What a great tribute to your grandma. The Date~drama pic is just too cute.

    Ya'll have yourself one fantastically blessed day free of drama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We remember your Grandma...
    She was a special lady & loved you very much!
    How wonderful to have such sweet memories.
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, oleo. I have a couple of old cookbooks around here that call for it. Hee! hee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oleo-I am surprised Shanaynay doesn't call it that she says things like "it's almost Christmas, the goose is getting fat" and calls her husband a "good fella". She claims it's because she was raised by grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes. All of us Cape_____ called it oleo for oleomargarine. Probably many folks from that age group. Nice blog. Thanks, Taylor. Happy Birthday Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous photo, Dahling. Simply Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete